Earlier this month, the South Brunswick Board of Education voted to approve a second revision to the school calendar to provide for additional days that could be lost to inclement weather.
The district already used three original days that were designated for inclement weather cancellations during Hurricane Sandy. South Brunswick needs to have 180 instructional days completed by June 30.
There were six days lost to the storm for most schools in the district, or seven in the case of Brooks Crossing Elementary School, Brunswick Acres Elementary School and Cambridge Elementary School, which were the only three schools unable to open when the other schools went back in session due to extended outages.
The district regained two days on Nov. 8 and 9 that were originally scheduled for schools to be closed for the annual NJEA Teacher Convention, which was later cancelled in light of the storm.
During a discussion of the Superintendent Gary McCartney said the district would take into consideration vacation plans that could not be altered.
"I'll be as flexible as I can be," he said in November. "I don't have carte blanche in what I can do, but I understand that many people have undergone hardships and I don't want to add to that."
In the event of additional days lost to inclement weather in the months ahead, the district has designated the three days where school will be in session if more days are cancelled.
Days will be made up in this order: March 25, March 26, and March 27, 2013.
Brooks Crossing, Brunswick Acres, and Cambridge will now be in session on Feb. 15 to make up the additional day those schools were closed. All other schools will be closed for students on that day.