The response efforts of Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) in Passaic County have been displeasing to not only some residents, but politicians as well.
Passaic County Freeholder Director Pat Lepore sent Donald Lynch, president of JCP&L, a letter Friday "condemning their handling of the situation in Passaic County." In the letter, he said about 1,600 of his constituents in Passaic County remained without power on Friday.
"I understand the challenges facing [JCP&L], especially in light of the recent snowstorm. However, that does not excuse the lack of communication about the progress of work in Passaic County," he wrote.
There are approximately 639 Wayne residents who remained without power Friday, according to a press release sent by Lepore's office, in addition to about 723 residents without power in West Milford and 223 residents without power in Pompton Lakes.
Mayor Christopher Vergano said he spoke with Lynch Friday afternoon and that JCP&L's goal is to have 75 percent of Wayne residents whose power was still out Friday restored by midnight, with the remaining 25 percent restored by midnight on Sunday.
"We aren't asking for miracles. We are asking for them to communicate with our residents in a frank and forthright manner so they understand what is going on and what the pace of work will look like," the press release said.
Lepore told Lynch that he would be meeting with Wayne residents Friday night to discuss JCP&L issues. The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. at 50 Sequoia Place. Vergano was unaware of the meeting.
"After I hear in more detail from my constituents their complaints and concerns, I hope to be able to relay them to you and your people on the ground," he wrote to Lynch. "We need to work together in these trying times and make sure communication is improved and power is restored."