The field consisted of 61 players, ages 10-19, representing five Mid-Atlantic states.
Blue Heron Pines Golf Club opened in 1993 and has been recognized as one of the best golf courses on the Jersey Shore. The first round was played mostly in the rain with wind gusts of 30 mph. While the rain cleared out for the final round, the swirling wind remained, making no hole an easy hole. Adding to the difficulty the weather presented, Stephen Kay’s course design featured multiple bunkers on every hole and four ponds.
Mody needed more than 36 holes to claim his first IJGT victory, defeating Quinn Dolan of Broomall, Pa., on the first hole of a playoff.
Mody paced the leaderboard in the first round, firing a 1-over-par 73, highlighted by a birdie on the par-5 18th hole. Even with the inclement weather, Mody only bogeyed two holes, to go along with his birdie. He started his round with pars on the first five holes before bogeying the tough sixth hole.
Dolan also was able to succeed in the wind and rain, shooting a 74. Like Mody, he started with five consecutive pars, only to drop a stroke at the sixth hole. Dolan birdied holes Nos. 11 and 14 on his way to an even-par back nine and finish second after the first round.
Joshua Goldenberg of Scarsdale, N.Y., went 1-under-par on his opening nine and was even-par until a quadruple-bogey on hole No. 14 set him back. Goldenberg recovered to birdie the 18th hole for a first-round total of 75, putting himself right in contention.Mody, Dolan, and Goldenberg all held shares of the lead early on in the final round. Dolan birdied the second hole to grab a share of the lead with Mody. Following a triple-bogey by Mody on No. 3, Dolan had his first outright lead. It did not last very long, though, as consecutive bogeys by Dolan, coupled with four pars by Goldenberg, put them atop the leaderboard.
Dolan held the lead after 27 holes, as he shot a front-nine 38 along with Goldenberg, while Mody sat three strokes back after carding a 42. Mody began his comeback with three pars to start the back nine to tie Goldenberg and get within two shots of Dolan. Mody’s birdie coupled with a bogey by Dolan on No. 13 put the two back in a tie for first. Goldenberg slowly fell back from the pack, playing holes Nos. 14-17 at 5-over-par.
While Mody and Dolan were matching scores from holes Nos.14-17, Matthew Bastian of Media, Pa., was making his move a group ahead of them. Bastian birdied the 17th hole to get within two strokes with only the par-5 18th hole remaining. But Bastian could not keep up the momentum, double-bogeying the hole to finish his day at 78 and 154 for the tournament, hoping that both Mody and Dolan would also find trouble on the last hole.
They did not. Both players found the fairway off the tee and then laid up with their second shots. With each having the opportunity to win the tournament right in front of them, Dolan hit his third shot to 25 feet while Mody was 50 feet away.
Mody’s long-distance putt came up short and he was left with a tough par putt. Dolan was also off with his birdie putt but he was able to tap in for his par. With the pressure on, Mody sank his par putt to send it to a playoff.
Playing the 10th hole, Mody found the middle of the fairway and Dolan’s ball rolled to the edge of the rough. Mody then hit the green with his approach, as the ball came to rest within 12 feet of the cup. Dolan also found the green but left himself a downhill putt from 15 feet for birdie.Dolan was first up. His putt came off the hill and missed, rolling a foot past the cup. That left Mody with the chance to win and he came through in the clutch. His putt rolled slowly towards the hole and was able to sneak in the side for the victory.
“I tried to keep the ball low and focus on my short game,” said Mody when asked about his keys to victory.
Bastian finished third, two strokes off Mody and Dolan’s 152 totals. Michael McIntosh of Chittenango, N.Y., shot a final-round 77 to win the Clazic Belts Low Final Round Award.
International Junior Golf Tour
Blue Heron Pines
October 12-13, 2013
Boys 15-19 Division - Gold Tees, 6,708 yards, Par 72
1. x-Curren Mody, Monmouth Junction, NJ, *73-79--152
2. Quinn Dolan, Broomall, PA, *74-78--152
3. Matthew Bastian, Media, PA, *76-78--154
4. Jack Faraci, Port Jefferson Station, NY, *77-78--155
5. Eric Terminello, White Plains, NY, *77-79--156
5. Joshua Goldenberg, Scarsdale, NY, *75-81--156
7. Michael McIntosh, Chittenango, NY, *81-77--158
7. Mark Benevento, Somers Pt., NJ, *79-79--158
7. Sam Sawyers, New York, NY, *78-80--158
7. Trey Croney, Bryn Mawr, PA, *77-81--158
7. Brian LeBlanc, Newtown, CT, *77-81--158
12. Blake Vodges, Wildwood Crest, NJ, *79-81--160
13. Justin Murray, Burlington, NJ, *80-81--161
14. Jonny Emmerman, Scarsdale, NY, *84-78--162
14. Thomas Urciuoli, Short Hills, NJ, *81-81--162
14. Jake Mayer, Scotch Plains, NJ, *81-81--162
14. Vince Palazzolo, Colts Neck, NJ, *81-81--162
18. Reid Bedell, Fair Haven, NJ, *82-82--164
19. Thomas Dzwonczyk, North Abington Township, PA, *83-82--165
19. Andrew DeMarco, Huntington, NY, *82-83--165
19. Jonathan Solimano, Montvale, NJ, *79-86--165
22. Brandan Bree, Kennett Square, PA, *87-80--167
23. Chris Binet, Oreland, PA, *77-92--169
24. Jb Bradbeer, Rosemont, PA, *89-81--170
24. Mike Hanrahan, Ossining, NY, *86-84--170
24. Gregory Szrom, Egg Harbor Township, NJ, *81-89--170
27. Harry Jin, Palisades Park, NJ, *90-81--171
28. Michael Barychewsky, Richboro, PA, *85-87--172
28. Ethan Means, Landenberg, PA, *83-89--172
30. Perry Litwin, Rumson, NJ, *89-84--173
30. Cristian Cerza, Greenwich, CT, *88-85--173
30. Evan Santa, Edgewater, MD, *82-91--173
33. Ben Litt, Moorestown, NJ, *88-87--175
34. Ryan Bree, Kennett Square, PA, *89-87--176
35. Benjamin Kotler, Penn Valley, PA, *85-94--179
36. Bobby Moriarty, Summit, NJ, *93-93--186
37. Peter Bradbeer, Philidelphia, PA, *98-89--187
38. Jesse Bevilacqua, Rumson, NJ, *97-93--190
39. Ryan Conway, Bryn Mawr, PA, *104-89--193--Courtesy of International Junior Golf Tour