In just the last two weeks I have noticed so many new studies being announced that have revealed life changing health news. I decided to compile some of these tips into today's blog in case you missed any of them. Every day science and health information changes and informs us of yet new details to help us lead better and healthier lives. Here are some of the top stories:
- Adding soy products to your diet can greatly lower your blood pressure! The isoflavones in these products, such as soy milk, tofu, edamamme and more, actually help relax the blood vessels, lowering blood pressure naturally.
- Eating chocolate, in moderation, as part of your regular diet, up to 5 times a week, can actually help you lose weight! This study revealed that people who ate chocolate regularly had lower body mass indexes, and weighed less, than those who did not! It is believed that the ingredients in chocolate have more of an effect on metabolism and less on calorie intake.
- Popcorn is considered the "King of snack foods!" Not only is it high in fiber, but it also is higher in antioxidants than lots of fruits and vegetables. Just don't drown it in salt and butter and take away it's health benefits.
- Obesity may actually effect your cognitive ability! Recent studies reveal that people over age 65, and who are overweight, have more or a memory issue and are more at risk of developing dementia than those who are of normal weight.
- People who take a daily aspirin to lower their heart disease and stroke risk may actually be helping prevent themselves from developing cancer and/or preventing spread of cancer if they should get, just by taking this daily aspirin. Please be sure to discuss taking aspirin with your doctor BEFORE doing so, as some people with certain medical conditions, or on certain medications, can actually cause more harm to themselves by doing so.
- Research reveals that menopause does actually cause a type of "brain fog." memory and concentration issues have now been confirmed as one of the symptoms of menopause. So in addition to hot flashes, and all the other lovely symptoms that go along with it, you can now look forward to this as well!
- Being sleep deprived can actually cause you to eat more - up to 549 calories a day! Just one more reason why getting adequate sleep is better for your body than not getting enough.
These are just a few of the breaking health stories that have surfaced recently. Stay in touch with health news and what is going on so that you can take better care of yourself and your loved ones. USA Today shares daily health news, as does CNN, the NY Times and Web MD online. These stories also appear on local daily news shows. You can also search our Facebook page, "Medical Tips From the Inside..Things You Need To Know!," "LIKE" our page and receive daily health tips so you don't miss out.