Holiday Recipe: Cranberry Upside Down Cake
A recipe from Chef Josh Thomsen, a partner in Agricola Eatery.
The following recipe is from Josh Thomsen. Thomsen is a partner in the farm to table restaurant Agricola, which is slated to open in Princeton in January, 2013.
Here is a simple recipe that’s BIG on flavor that your guests will love!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-3/4 tsp butter, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 cup cranberries
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup red currant jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest in a medium bowl.
- Melt 6 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add 8 tbsp sugar to dissolve, cooking until it reaches a bubbly boil. Pour into the bottom of an 8×2-inch round cake pan. Scatter cranberries and pecans over the “caramel” and press down gently.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream 8 tbsp butter until soft. Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Add in half of flour mixture and beat on low until just incorporated. Add milk, then remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon batter over cranberries and smooth with a spatula. Bake 40-45 minutes. Warm jelly until smooth to glaze warm cake